Plants can really brighten up your tiny Vancouver apartment and give you a sense of earthy-ness [aka like you have a yard or lawn when we actually can’t afford such luxuries or have the space] while improving the quality of your air; however, if you have pets around there are some dangerous ones you need to avoid, especially with all the beautiful offerings of Spring.
Pet Experts at Battersea Dogs and Cats Home created a short list of some of the houseplants and flowers to look out for that could be harmful to your beloved pet [this is not a definitive list, but check each individual plant or flower if you’re unsure].
Lilies are popular and pretty flowers but can cause severe kidney failure if your cat ingests any part of this flower.
Brushing against the pollen can cause particles to cling to their fur which can be ingested during grooming.
Certain types of lilies can also be harmful to dogs.
Avoid having these types of plants in a house with pets.
Any portion of this plant can be highly toxic to cats.
It can cause vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, convulsions and can cause a drop in blood pressure.
The bulb of a daffodil is the most dangerous for dogs and cats.
3. Tulips and hyacinths
These flowers are from the same family and both can be harmful to your animals.
The bulbs are poisonous to dogs and cats. Ingestion can cause vomiting and breathing difficulties.
4. Aloe Vera
Although this plant has great healing properties for human skin, there are parts of this plant that are dangerous to your dog or cat.
The white sap that comes out when the leaf is broken is poisonous to your pets.
These are familiar plants in and around the home but for our four-legged friends, ingesting its leaves in large quantities can cause breathing difficulties or even a coma.
Also known as Dumb Cane, these plants may have a name you might not know, but they are a common houseplant that can cause oral irritation, vomiting, a burning sensation of the lips, tongue and mouth, leading to breathing difficulties in dogs and cats.